Monday, April 11, 2011

Make My Meal Monday

So, as most of you know, I watched Food Inc last week and it has changed how I feel about alot of food! So this monday I wanted to share with you a meatless meal, that is tasty and easy ( on the budget too). I bought some Soy crumbles ground beef flavor for 2.99/lb *had a coupon and all! So I made stuffed peppers. I took a recipe I love and changed a few things to make it healthier for me and the planet :)


Here's the Details!
4 medium green bell peppers
16 oz pkg soy crumbles (lightlife smart ground)
⅓ c chopped onion
½  jar tomato/pasta sauce ( I used organic tomato sauce from publix)
1cup brown rice prepared ( I made 1 cup, so how ever much that makes cooked lol)
¾ c shredded mozzarella cheese





 Cut tops off peppers.  Remove  seeds  and  lightly  salt inside of pepper.








Use a little EVOO and sautee onions. Add Soy crumbles to onions.
Heat crumbles.









Add tomato/pasta sauce, rice, Worcestershire &  salt  and pepper to taste.  Cover  and  simmer  about  five  minutes. ( I switched to a stock pot at this point)










Stand peppers upright in  sprayed  baking dish.  Stuff
peppers  w/  meat  mixture, &  replace tops.











Bake uncovered at 350ยบ for 30-35 minutes. Uncover peppers &
top & w/ cheese; replace tops & bake an additional 5 min
or until done & cheese is melted.









All said, it was tasty, Mike said it was good, and I didnt taste any difference whatsoever to meat! I hope you all commit to one meal a week being meatless! It saves you and helps out the planet!!! And, shhh, its cheaper!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I would totally have to lie to Eric...
    but I wonder if he would notice...hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didnt tell Mike what is was until he was on seconds lol! It honestly looked and tasted like ground beef. And I dont lie about how my food tastes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Fast Food Nation and totally am doing 1 (at least) vegetarian meal a week. I'm not sure I can deal with tofu though! I made this over the weekend. The slaw is To. Die. For. http://une-deuxsenses.blogspot.com/2011/02/crispy-black-bean-tacos-with-feta.html

    ReplyDelete